Finding shoes with a great fit can be tricky, and we absolutely understand that shopping for footwear online can be daunting. That’s why we’ve tried to make it clear and simple as possible with an easy measuring process you can do at home, to make sure you can buy from us in confidence - and remember you can also make use of our Free Returns Policy if need be!
Here’s our GUIDE to making sure you find the perfect fit at Bubbly Toes...
We source products from across Europe, seeking out the best barefoot shoes and accessories for our customers here in the UK. Our shoes are sized in EU sizes, however, each brand will have variations in their size and fit so sizing isn’t as simple as just converting to a UK size.
That’s why we measure the internal dimensions of every single shoe and size. You’ll find this information in the product description Sizing section.
We recommend that you always measure your, or your child's, feet prior to every purchase - don’t just order your usual size. And don’t worry - it’s simple to do at home…
1. Place a sheet of plain paper on a smooth flat surface with the short edge against the wall
2. Pop one foot onto the long edge ensuring that the heel and the longest toe is lined up with the edge
3. Stand normally with weight distributed evenly on both feet
4. Put a mark where the longest toe ends
5. Step aside and measure the distance from the corner of the sheet to your mark
6. Repeat for the other foot
Toes need space. Leave just as much wriggle room between the tips of your toes and the front edge of the shoe as you feel confident walking in without the risk of tripping over - and always check that your child walks safely in the shoes. As a guide, we recommend the following:
First walkers: Approx. 6 - 10mm
Confident walkers: Approx. 12mm + up to 5mm growing room
(in general, the newer you are to barefoot shoes, the less extra space you will require)
- Measure a child's feet regularly - we know it can seem a hassle but children’s feet have the superpower to grow 2 sizes in a fortnight, at any time!
- Don’t check the fit of your child’s shoes with a thumb pressing down at the toes - children tend to bend their toes back giving a false result!
- Measure feet in the evening - feet tend to spread out a bit during the day.
- When measuring your feet prior to buying shoes, measure them in the socks that you plan to wearwith the specific shoes. Thick, wooly socks for example can take up quite a lot of space. Needless to say that socks should be well fitting and non-restrictive. If they squish your toes, it’s time to say goodbye and replace them with new socks!
Measurements, no matter how accurate, can never tell the full story of how a shoe will fit, nothing can beat trying them on and taking a few steps in them. So unlike many retailers, we don’t mind if you make use of our FREE RETURNS POLICY and order two different sizes if you’re at all unsure of fit, keeping the pair that fit best. All we ask is that you try the shoes on indoors, and return them to us in the same condition and packaging in which you received them.
The shape of your shoes should follow the shape of your feet as closely as possible. Often it's the length of the toes that dictates foot shape, with some toes sticking out more than the others. In general, these longer toes (commonly called dominant toes) will be either the first (known as the big toe) or the second toes. Whichever are longer are your dominant toes - or as we like to call them, either your Bubbly First or Bubbly Second Toes!
Look at your feet:
Is your first toe considerably longer than the rest? Then you are a proud owner of Bubbly First Toes! Check out shoes that provide enough space for Bubbly First Toes HERE.
Is your second toe the longest? Congratulations, you have Bubbly Second Toes. Check out shoes that are shaped to accommodate feet with Bubbly Second Toes HERE.